Foreign language study programs are not provided.
The motto of the faculty: „Talent - Education - Success“
The Faculty of Management of University of Prešov in Prešov is currently the only faculty of an economic type at a public university in the Prešov region offering unique higher education in the field of management, environmental management as well as tourism, hotel and spa industry.
The faculty is developing successfully and dynamically and it has a unique and irreplaceable position and mission in the structure of the University of Prešov as well as in relation to the labour market especially at a regional level.
Some original master’s specialisations provided by the Faculty of Management boast of over 21-year tradition in Prešov, since the change of social conditions in the 1989/1990 academic year.
Thanks to a dynamic development focused primarily on scientific research and achievement of high academic standards (which accelerated in the course of the two mentioned decades) we have been granted the accreditation of all degrees of study as well as accreditation of rights for professor appointment procedures.
On the basis of accreditation the faculty has rights to provide:
- Bachelor’s study programme Management (a three-year study programme) in a full-time and part-time mode of study in the field of study 3.3.15. Management, with specialisation in:
- Human resource management
- Trade, marketing and psychology of trading
- Managerial informatics
- Management of tourism and hotel industry
- Bachelor’s study programme Tourism, Hotel and Spa Industry (a three-year study programme) in a full-time and part-time mode of study in the field of study 8.1.1 Travel and Tourism.
- Bachelor’s study programme Environmental Management (a three-year study programme) in a full-time and part-time mode of study in the field of study 4.3.3 Environmental Management.
Graduates of a bachelor’s study programme Management are awarded the academic degree of „Bc.“.
- Master’s study programme Management (a two-year study programme) in a full-time and part-time mode of study in the field of study 3.3.15 Management with specialisation in – compulsory-optional blocks of course units:
- Human resource management
- Trade, marketing and psychology of trading
- Environmental management
- Management of tourism and hotel industry
Graduates of the master’s study programme Management are awarded the academic degree of „Mgr.“
- Master’s study programme Environmental Management (a two-year study programme) in a full-time and part-time mode of study (a three-year study programme) in the field of study 4.3.3 Environmental Management.
Graduates of the master’s study programme Environmental Management are awarded the academic degree of „Mgr.“
On the basis of the rigorous procedure in the economic study programme Management in the field of study 3.3.15 Management, the graduates are awarded the academic degree of „PhDr.“
On the basis of the rigorous procedure in the economic and natural science study programme Environmental Management in the field of study 4.3.3 Environmental Management, the graduates are awarded the academic degree of „RNDr.“.
PhD study programme:
- Doctoral study programme Management (four-year in a full-time and five-year in a part-time mode of study) in the field of study 3.3.15. Management, the graduates are awarded the academic degree of „PhD.“.
- Doctoral study programme Environmental Management (four-year in a full-time and five-year in a part-time mode of study) in the field of study 4.3.3 Environmental Management, the graduates are awarded the academic degree of „PhD.“
As well as to confer the highest scientific-academic degrees:
- Habilitation procedure in the field of study 3.3.15 Management, for conferring scientific-pedagogical degree „docent “(associate professor).
- Procedure for appointment of professors in the field of study 3.3.15 Management, for conferring scientific-pedagogical degree of „professor”.
Graduates of any of the three bachelor’s study programmes (fields of study) provided by the Faculty of Management, UP can continue with master’s study after meeting admission requirements for master’s degree programmes. After completing master’s study, applicants may be awarded a “PhDr.” academic degree upon passing rigorous examination and defending a rigorous thesis.
The Faculty of Management offers a doctoral study (the study programme Management) analogously to graduates of master’s study at the faculty upon meeting admission requirements for PhD study.
The talented student may develop professionally from an undergraduate level of education to the highest one that is to a university professor.
We consider the quality of education and research to be key determinants in our faculty.
However, the profile of graduates of all five study programmes in three different fields of study (at all three levels of education in a full-time and part-time mode) is also significant in relation to the local environment, society and practice. The study creates academic prerequisites which in case of personal abilities of graduates lead to opportunities for employment in various economic and managerial areas.
In advanced countries, the fields of study and programmes under focus at the Faculty of Management of University of Prešov in Prešov belong to those which enable graduates to obtain qualifications and give them opportunities for becoming catalysts for changes in enterprises and other organisations. At the same time graduates become qualified to set up new businesses (and thus create new job positions). Study programmes in the economic field of study 3.3.15 Management aim at developing graduates’ prerequisites for service in economic areas, at economic positions, in businesses and other organisations. Naturally, a macroeconomic environment, the situation in the country, economic crises, and impact of the surrounding environment have a strong and undeniable influence on career prospects of graduates of all fields of study provided by higher education institutions and all personal attributes and talents of graduates also play an important role.
Apart from basic economic-managerial education, graduates’ abilities, aptitudes and experience also affect their possibilities for obtaining various managerial positions. Our aim and ambition is to contribute to increasing competitiveness of enterprises, and subsequent growth of gross domestic product in the country. Thus contributing to enlarging resources of the such areas of the public sector as the social sphere, public education, health care and the like, as well as to increasing welfare of the society and the quality of life of its inhabitants. All by means of qualification, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
With regard to the graduates in fields of study related to travel and tourism, mainly tourism, hotel and spa industry there is an effort to develop graduates’ prerequisites for their contributing to the development of regions as well as in a broader context to a full development of other tourism-related services creating new jobs and contributing to the decrease of the unemployment. With positive implications for the growth of regional GDP, and the use of our regional potential. Needless to say, it is only a part of employment opportunities for graduates of the study programme Tourism, Hotel and Spa Industry (in the field of study 8.1.1 Travel and Tourism). The significance of which in this context is increased in times of economic crises and immediate subsequent development.
Nowadays, there is no doubt about the importance of environmental sciences, positive outcomes and the necessity of the environmental management (including environmental accounting and finances, marketing, law etc.) in conditions of concrete serious problems of companies and society in this area and in the context of global awareness and vital strategies of „environmental friendly“ entrepreneurship and inevitability of products with “environmental friendly” attributes.
Course units of particular study programmes are published on our website.
Within a framework of accredited study programmes offered by the faculty students enrol in compulsory subjects and compulsory optional subjects. In case of the study programme Management, students have to enrol in one of the compulsory optional blocks of subjects. At the first degree level they choose from blocks focused on human resource management, marketing, and management of tourism and hotel industry or managerial informatics. At the second degree level they select from the blocks focused on human resource management, marketing, management of tourism and hotel industry or environmental management. These compulsory optional blocks of subjects provide students with deep insight into one of the given areas.
A positive development and continuous improvement of the professional structure of the faculty resulted in fact that the number of full-time employees and full-time PhD students (i.e. with teaching obligations) in relation to bachelor’s and master’s students reached 105 full-time employees. Of whom there are:
- 66 full-time scientific-pedagogical employees – university teachers (4 professors, 20 associate professors, 40 senior lectures, 2 lecturers)
- 18 full-time PhD students with teaching obligations
- 21 administrative employees
Out of 66 full-time scientific-pedagogical employees – university teachers there are:
- 4 university professors
- 20 associate professors (19 full-time employees and one part-time employee)
Current 100 per cent qualification standard is reflected in the fact that all full-time teachers: professors, associate professors and senior lecturers have the academic degree of "PhD.". The fact that only 21 out of 66 full-time teachers were awarded their PhD degree at the Faculty of Management of UP contributes to the development of the faculty as well as the exchange of ideas and a positive status of the faculty in the context of “competition of ideas”. The majority of full-time teachers gained their PhD degree (Ph.D., CSc.) at other universities including foreign ones, e.g. in the Czech Republic in Prague, Ostrava, in Bratislava, Nitra, Košice, Banská Bystrica, Zvolen etc.
Eminent experts in the field teach at the faculty as part-time university teachers too.
In the course of its development the faculty has been organised into 10 departments where teams of academics carry out research and teach in a common as well as more specific areas.
Each department plays a role in creating the profile of graduates of five accredited study programmes (in the full-time and part-time mode of study) in three various fields of study and in exercising other rights on the basis of accreditation.
- Department of Economics and Economy
- Department of Finances
- Department of Accounting and Controlling
- Department of Management
- including the „Section of Law“
- Department of Marketing and International Trade
- Department of Tourism and Hotel Management
- Department of Environmental Management
- Department of Mathematical Methods and Managerial Informatics
- Department of Managerial Psychology
- Department of Intercultural Communication
Our priority is to accelerate development of the faculty in the following areas:
1) Managing Board of the Faculty of Management of UP in Prešov considers scientific research to be the only way to achieve high academic standards and research work to be a basic and inseparable part of a job of every teacher at FM UP. It enforces this criterion in personnel policy with absolute dominance.
2) The employees of the faculty have successfully completed 35 research projects out of which 21 were research grants provided by external grant agencies and 7 were international projects. In 2011 19 research projects were successfully finished (5 of them provided by external grant agencies – 2 VEGA projects and 1 KEGA project, 2 international projects APVV MVTS and 14 internal research grants. The academic staff are currently carrying out 8 research projects in a framework of external grant agencies out of which 4 are international projects. 7 other VEGA projects have been approved for funding).
3) Faculty scientific journal JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT AND BUSINESS: RESEARCH AND PRACTICE: published as a periodical by the Faculty of Management UP in Prešov.
4) G A M A – Grant Agency for Research in Management at the Faculty of Management of University of Prešov in Prešov. Applicants submitting research projects of the highest quality are awarded grants which belong to internal research grants (for more details visit https://www.unipo.sk/en/faculty-of-management/science-and-research/s-r-grants). In 2011 14 projects were successfully completed and currently 16 internal research projects are being carried out.
5) The Faculty regularly organises and takes part in international scientific conferences with active academic staff participation.
6) Successful completion of tasks assigned to the faculty as a part of the centre of excellence of the SAS entitled “Centre of Excellence in the Research of Cognition” (CEVKOG) is one of our research results. The Faculty of Management of University of Prešov in Prešov was as an organisation a part of the Centre of Excellence of SAS, established on the grounds of the Resolution No 588 on the Presidium of the Slovak Academy of Science (of 12 December 2006), from 1 January 2007 to 31 December 2010.
7) Although publication performance of academic staff is increasing dynamically the faculty is trying to motivate the academic staff to produce high-quality publications (monographs, papers in journals registered by ISI Current Contents, and in international journals, in textbooks and the like).
For example last year 271 publications were produced by faculty staff (7 scientific monographs, 3 scientific papers in journals registered by ISI Current Contents, 23 articles in international scientific journals, 8 higher education textbooks out of which one was international).
8) Increasing the quality of doctoral study at the Faculty of Management of UP in Prešov. Involving junior researchers in research projects and dissemination of research results to the largest possible extent.
B) Continuous professional development:
It is necessary to emphasise continuous professional development of academic staff in relation to guarantors of study programmes: Study programmes are guaranteed by domestic professors appointed by the President of the Slovak Republic or at least by domestic associate professors in our field of study. In both cases they have to be full-time employees and be younger than 65.
Domestic professors or associate professors in our fields of study (related fields of study) meeting the above-mentioned criteria are inevitable for accrediting bachelor’s study programme. A domestic professor meeting the given criteria is a minimum condition for accrediting master’s study programme. A domestic professor fulfilling the above mentioned criteria together with at least two associate professors are a minimum existential condition for accrediting doctoral study programme.
The existence of the study programme (according to the Accreditation Commission criteria, counselling body of the Government of the SR) is not possible without its guarantor (programmes accredited after 2004 according to current rules and academic standards). Neither is the existence of the faculty possible without guarantors of study programmes (accredited after 2004). Continuous professional development of academic staff of the faculty is therefore a basic condition for its development and existence in strategic terms.
C) Development of educational offer:
a) Our priority is expansion and improvement of an educational offer provided by the faculty in the framework of new study programmes and optional course units in line with societal demand, labour market development, needs of the Prešov region and considering educational offers given by rivals.
b) It is necessary to highlight the unique character of the educational offer and graduates of the Faculty of Management in the entire offer provided by the University of Prešov as a natural regional centre of education with regard to regional needs and decrease of unemployment.
c) Graduates of the Faculty of Management of University of Prešov in Prešov can apply for job positions in dependent activities that is as employees of enterprises, organisations including organisations in the public sector and in non-governmental organisations. They have qualification for professional establishment of successful and stable enterprises, and management and expansion of existing enterprises which are basic conditions for creation of new job positions and a real decrease in unemployment in the Prešov region and in the whole Slovakia.
Such a profile of the graduates of the Faculty of Management qualifies them to increase the employment – by creating job positions– developing enterprises and establishing the new ones – especially in the area of services such as tourism services. Development of tourism, hotel and spa industry has a subsequent impact on the development of other related services and employment.
In terms of standard Slovak and European classification system of education our field of study 3.3. 15 Management belongs to a broader area of knowledge 3.3. Economics and Management and graduates develop skills of economists and prospective managers. The field of study Tourism, Hotel and Spa Industry belongs to a broader area 8.1.1. Travel and Tourism or Services and the field of study 4.3.3 Environmental Management to the area of natural sciences or let us say interdisciplinary understanding of environmental sciences and management.
D) Our facilities:
1) Teaching is organised in three buildings, two of which are owned by the University of Prešov in Prešov and one is rented.
2) Responding to the demand for education at the Faculty of Management of UP in Prešov we are trying to develop our campus facilities by using available European Union funds, as well as the state budget. We are continuing in our effort to provide new buildings and classrooms and higher quality equipment for research and teaching in cooperation with the Rectorate of the University.
E) Students and applicants for study – one of the HIGHEST PRIORITIES of the faculty:
1) In relation to students it is my effort as a dean to open and expand study opportunities for all prospective students to the extent allowed by resources of the faculty (mainly human, physical and material) under the condition the quality of education is maintained and raised. In this internal competitive environment all students can demonstrate their skills and justify their place at the faculty.
2) At the time of its establishment the Faculty of Management, UP made some significant changes in a strategy for accepting applicants. The new model has changed interest in the study at our faculty from 975 applicants for study in the 2004/2005 academic year to an incredible circa 4000 applicants since then. On 31 March, 2006 (deadline) out of 10 500 applicants for approximately 500 bachelor’s study programmes at the University of Prešov in Prešov there were 5500 applicants for our only study programme that is more than for other study programmes provided by the University of Prešov in Prešov. The Institute of Information and Prognoses of Education, Ministry of Education, SR has recently evaluated the Faculty of Management, UP in Prešov, as one of the “faculties in greatest demand in Slovakia” (there are more than 120 Slovak faculties), which has been published in the daily press.
3) Despite enormous interest in the study at the Faculty of Management, University of Prešov in Prešov, taking into consideration its resources, the faculty is planning to give place to 320 applicants for full-time study (270 applicants for part-time study) in three fields of study.
4) We are planning to give a place to approximately 7 applicants for a full-time PhD study and approximately 7 applicants for a part-time PhD study. The number of accepted applicants for the internal doctoral study depends on the number of scholarship places which will be allocated to the University of Prešov in Prešov and the Faculty of Management in the budget in 2012. Maintained interest in PhD study increases its entry possibilities.
5) The source of the mentioned interest in study originated in 2004 when after establishing the faculty a new objective system of admission procedure for study solely on the basis of approved algorithm based on the results from secondary schools (school leaving examination) and coefficients characterising categories of secondary schools was defined and published. The list of applicants is co-compiled by means of embedded system of bonuses for grades in profiling disciplines (mathematics and foreign, non-Slavic languages)
6) Concerning the forthcoming admission procedure in 2013 the system has been improved and it includes a possibility to take optional SCIO test of general academic prerequisites (in test centres on 6 different dates, implemented in admission procedure in other faculties at Czech and Slovak universities, see www.scio.cz), close to approaches leading to measurement of intelligence. A good result in the optional test can considerably enhance a chance of applicants for their acceptance at the Faculty of Management of University of Prešov in Prešov even in cases of worse grades in their school leaving examination certificates.
7) It is necessary to emphasise that the Faculty of Management, University of Prešov in Prešov responds to influx of applicants, and persistent excess demand for study of management in a maximum accommodating way in terms of its limited capacity. In case accepted candidates give up their places the order of candidates can move downwards by a corresponding number of places. I recommend applicants to visit the website of the Faculty (www.unipo.sk/fm) for updates. Each applicant can be accepted on the basis of his or her position in the list, even though he or she has not taken school leaving examination in mathematics or languages – all applicants enter selection procedure.
8) Our faculty has approximately 1900 students at all there levels of study (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral). The number includes full-time and part-time students. The number of full-time students prevails.
9) As it has been indicated earlier – after accepting the given number of candidates the internal competitive environment for students is created in which everybody has a chance to complete study successfully. The Faculty of Management, academic and other staff put effort into creating highly favourable conditions for study.
It depends on academic staff as well as students themselves how the unique community of students and scientific-pedagogical employees, the community whose members mentally, humanly, intellectually, and professionally enrich one another will be formed. In competition of ideas which is an accelerator of positive development in the sense of freedom of thought, creative approaches, tolerance, fair profit, and application of knowledge.
Accommodation and boarding
Students halls of residence and the canteen
Nowadays, the total capacity of the Students Halls of Residence is as follows: total number of places amounts to 1918 - 873 places at the Students Hall of Residence in Ul.17 November no. 11, 685 places at the Students Hall of Residence in Ul. 17 November no.13, 183 places at Námestie mládeže no. 2 and 177 places in Exnárova no. 36.
In 2009 11th floor of the "A" block was rebuilt followed by reconstruction of the "B" block in 2010. The rooms are completely renovated with modern facilities and bathrooms. Each room has a fridge, and an internet connection. Both parts are fully equipped with kitchen appliances as well as washing machines and dryers.
Catering for students and staff of University of Presov in Presov is provided by Magister, ltd. Presov. Its priority was to extend the range of meals for lunch and dinner. Currently it offers a menu of three soups and six main dishes for lunch, and two meals for dinner. The canteen is divided into two parts - the employees’ part with capacity of 60 seats and students’ part with capacity of 200 seats.
After undertaking its operation, Magister, ltd. Prešov expanded its supplementary services and established a fast food buffet with a wide range of hot dishes, desserts and cold food products. This food service operator is planning to offer products of healthy diet as a part of its daily menu. In addition, it also operates three buffets, the buffet “Bachelor” in the main building, “Rector” in the building of the Rectorate and “Student” in the students hall of residence. The buffets offer a wide range of cold meals and confectionery, as well as soft drinks and coffee.
Beside these essential services in the canteen area there are 2 stylish lounges where various social events can be organized. Student balls, graduations, academic conferences, etc. are held there every year.
Študentský domov a jedáleň PU
Ul. 17. novembra 13
080 01 PREŠOV
Potrebné informácie "PREČO ŠTUDOVAŤ" na Fakulte manažmentu Prešovskej univerzity v Prešove, ale aj ďalšie dôležité informácie o fakulte sú k dispozícii na webovej stránke: https://www.studujmanazment.sk/